.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

GregInJapan

Japan As I See It

Thursday, December 08, 2005

It's beginning to look a lot like...

Life here is becoming less and less bewildering. There are certain aspects of Japanese language and culture that are actually more sensible than what I know from the English speaking world, and many that make sens for here. By this I mean that, while it may not seem to make sense immediately, because it works here then it must have a certain sensibility to it that is quite normal. For example, using Christmas as a winter holiday. You see Christmas decorations everywhere, and Christmas songs, and the malls are decked with, well, not holly, but garland nonetheless. There are trees everywhere. And nary a Christian in sight.

However, it relieves the blahs of winter, and because of this, it makes sense to do it. And, so we have as much decoration as back home. I will have to work Christmas day, but not being home with my Mom and Dad, it will not make a difference to me. I am forced to re-think the holiday, and what it means to me personally.

More thoughts on this phenonmenon later.

3 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Blogger Juan said...

Greg,
Lily, Eunjin (that Korean girl), me and a new Japanese girl, Hitomi, from my dept went to dinner last night celebrating Eunjin's birthday. We talked about Christmas in Japan. According to Hitomi, Japanese people are very non-religious, and yet very pro-Christmas. So it's very interesting to know that you see all these Christmas decoration in Osaka. Does Japanese really celebrate Christmas as it originally means?
Juan
p.s. I just set up my own blog five mins ago.
www.juanrr.blogspot.com

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Juan said...

Forgot to mention another blog of mine:
www.worldcoop.blogspot.com

 
At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you've ever seen throngs of them hitting the high end stores in cities like New York, Rome, or Florence, you'll know that Japanese people love shopping, therefore, Christmas is one big shopping orgy for them. And they all want to buy the same thing! (On a side note, I recently stopped in the first Uniqlo store in Manhattan--it's sort of a Japanese version of the GAP. The clothes are actually kinda boring--khakis, button downs, sweaters, etc. I was suprised to see so many Japanese people in there. Why are they buying Japanese stuff in New York?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home