.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

GregInJapan

Japan As I See It

Monday, December 12, 2005

Oh, tannenbaum!

The custom of the Christmas tree dates back to two pagan traditions, one Norse, the other Roman. Both cultures thought of the tree as a symbol of everlasting life, even through the darkest days of the winter night. Here in Japan, there are lit trees everywhere.
On Friday, my Japanese freind and I went to an outdoor festival with a big tree:




This tree is in an underground mall in the Namba region of Osaka.



As I looked at the tree Friday, it blinked in and out with its lights in the chilly air, and, for a moment, with the cheer of the gluewine in me, I could imagine I was back home
More photos later.

2 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger Juan said...

wow, didn't you get up early, greg!...or didn't you stay up late ! :)

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg,

Glad to hear everything is going ok in Japan. How is your teaching working out? We were just discussing Japanese X-mas trees in class today. Turns out one of my students, Satoko, is from Osaka. I just sent her your blog & e-mail address to get in touch with you.

Keep us updated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home