.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

GregInJapan

Japan As I See It

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Hat

Boshi ga, nan desu ka? doshite?

These are very good questions. Over the course of time, you will probably see me in a variety of hats. I like hats. Always have.

One hat is the hat i bought here in Japan, at OPA, the retail and used clothing store chain in Japan. I have written about this before. The other is my Red dragon hat, which I don't think everyone knows the story. Viki and all of us went to one of the movie viewings at G-Spot, which was full of all sort of types. from the ultra pretentious, to the truly honestly small film-maker with a story to tell and a 9mm cam to tell it. During this particular film fest, they were giving away various gifts and prizes, amoung which was this delectibly delightful Red Dragon hat. According to the man who was trying to give it away as a prize at the film extravaganza ,it is somehow connected to the set of the movie, Red Dragon.
Despite this august connexion, no-one seemed to want to have it. There must have been three raffles done, and no bites. The moderator of the film fest then threw the hat out at the crowd. I have never seen a group of people shirk at anything free so fiercely before. Precisely because no one else wanted it, and because I knew I would not win anything myself, I grabbed for it, and it was mine.

If I ever get my act together to film movies, I will wear this hat as I do so.

In Japan, a red dragon is good luck, and as long as I have worn it, I have been safe and sound. Take that, you overly self absorbed and pretentious idiots.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home