.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

GregInJapan

Japan As I See It

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Intereting coinkie-dinkies

This week has been full of interesting things. The more I live here, I feel the energy of the life of Asia, and have come to understand why the concept of yin yang is so powerful. Here, things do melt into each other, retaining a piece of themselves only to become manisfest as the other, and going back again.
I was supposed to have a friend over for dinner,and was cleaning up my messy apartment. I have been buying the Daily Yomiuri lately, because it keeps me in touch with the world, has a lot of US news from different papers, and it also has a great Japanese language section every few days. Also, there are a lot of good articles I can send different people, so it acts as a way to connect with all of you guys. I have been buying the paper at the local convenience store, but since it is cheaper by far to subscribe, I have been thinking about doing that. I put it off a lot, and hadn't rembered to do it as of yet.
Well, as I was sorting through the paper, and going through about two weeks of stuff, a man rang my door bell. He wanted to sign me up for a subscription to the Yomiuri.

I signed up immediately.

Last night, my friend bailed out on me. I settled in to watch 24, which I have, as of recently, only seen in Japanese. I started watching the first few episodes of season five, and am now conflicted: do I stop here, and start watching season 4, because I can watch backstory, or do I forge ahead and go through 5, and then start at the beginning and work my way through. Well, while I was able to spend some quiet time at home, I got another calling: some very nice, very cute Jehovah's witnesses. They wanted to convert me, and have me go to their meetings. I told them I am pretty Catholic, and go to church regularly (which I have been doing throuhout the Lenten season, and am continuing to do so.) They were pretty pushy, and I had to be as polite as possible to be as rude as possible, something you only learn by dealing with the Japanese. I went to bed even more firm to continue my faith, so in a way, they did their job,ust not for their own church.

I am now a firm believer, mostly in coincidence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home