.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

GregInJapan

Japan As I See It

Thursday, December 15, 2005

In it for the Long Haul

Well, Nova Corporation must like me, as I passed review, and am now off probation. The company will now pay me a full salary, and I now get to be trained to teach grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation courses, as well as Kid's courses. When I first learned that Nova taught children, I was a little hesitant. After all, I have not had too many encounters with young children lately, as my family is small, my brother has no kids, or at least none I know about, and many of the people I know also are childless. However, there are a few in the Multi-Media center who have recently recieved the training, and are really jazzed about it. So, it might not be so bad.

Also coming along is my Japanese language study. Many of you know I made a fair attempt to do some work before coming to Japan, but the course I currently study has much more structure, and homework, to boot. Plus, one of the instructors is really cute. I am also taught completely in Japanese, which is giving me a taste of my own medicine. And, it has really made me sympathise with beginner students of ESL. My teaching of this level, at least for Japanese students, has gotten much better. I am far more willing to drill and to go over simple points, and I have learned some pedagogic tools which, in imitation of my Nihongo instructors, seem to make an impact on my English students,aiding in their overall comprehension of the language lessons. I really feel, in this way, I am learning twice, even three times; learning language, learning method, learning patience. I also feel less overwhelmed by the country, now that I have a few basic things at my command. By the time I come to visit, I should speak a fair amount, so watch out Sushi Ya!

I also found Osaka's magic store; more on this soon.

1 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger Juan said...

Wow, you are rich now! Buy a traditional Japanese dress for yourself, or at least a pajama.
I sure understand how a cute instructor would inspire us. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home