.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

GregInJapan

Japan As I See It

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Work, work work, and a Bike Ride.

I have seen a lot of Japanese people these last two week, most of them on camera. I have had a strange schedual lately, with a day off here or there, all because I swap teaching days with other people so they can go on holiday. I will not have a full weekend for a while, because of this. However, things are looking up in some ways. I finally have a bicycle, and have ridden it around the neighborhood. I have not been on a bike in twenty years, but I got my balance right away, just like riding a bike. It is a light green number, with a basket in front. The bicycles in Japan come in two styles; the low riding type, and the 1950s type. There is no specific group which buys either kind. I have seen old men on the low riders, young punks on the 1950s. I think it all depends on availability, and whether you want to get your own or borrow the family bike. My bike is pretty old, and hopefully this will serve to be a good deterent for theft, which, amazingly in an otherwise crime-free Japan, is quite common. My friend DS has had his ride stolen three times now, which is agreeably horrible luck, but indicative of how often these bikes get nicked. I may buy a chain to make sure. A bike is necessary in Osaka, which is famous for its aggressive bikers, and here, it pays to join them not beat them. I can now get home quickly and for free, even if the subways are closed. And, amazingly too, all bikers ride on the sidewalk. I cannot count the number of times someone has tried to run me over, and now, Revenge! Well, not really, but it will be nice to be moving fast to where I want to go.

The other good news is that I successfully completed an EBAY auction this week, selling two prints, each for $15.00. With the profit, I am going to buy more prints, and sell them. If that goes well, I may also sell Japanese dolls and sake sets, which I can get relatively inexpensive here. The auction went smoothly, and I did a three day auction. Selling on EBAY is good two ways: first, I make money. Second, I am forced to learn about the prints I sell, who made them, when, the titles, and so forth. With a little work and more research, I can perhaps start to become quite the expert in styles and artists. At some point I want to get in the big leagues, and maybe learn to appraise a few. We shall see. At this stage, however, I am content just to sell the (good quality) reproduction prints. If any of you or your friends want something, just let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home