.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

GregInJapan

Japan As I See It

Monday, December 19, 2005

I guess I live here now.

I realized today that I unconsciously make my way to my building and my specific appartment now. While there is much in the city I still find to be bewildering, there is a lot more that is falling into place. I am establishing rhythms, forming habits, making cognitive maps. I am even beginning to have a feel for the overall neighborhood and its habits, and recognizing some of the locals.

Last week I was walking around a part of Osaka where tourists never go, and hardly any foreigners either, and for the first time, I felt like I really lived here. Comfort comes when you begin to make it your own city, with your own paths, which many may share, but none entirely duplicate. I have been here two months, already, and I feel like I have a new home. Very strange, as it is 9000 miles from what I used to know.

1 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger Juan said...

I still remember the first time when I went to Eddie's to feed myself. Everybody in there seemed very alien and I just wanted to make myself invisible. I was quite couscious about everything that was going on around me. Don't remember since when all I care is food, not people any more.
It is nice that from today (or yesterday) on, you are an Osakan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home