.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

GregInJapan

Japan As I See It

Monday, March 20, 2006

Happy Spring Exquinox!

Are we all equal? The day and night hours are.


Many cultures celebrate this august event, which will not occur again until September.
In Japan, there is a certain temple which refreshes itself every six years, and that is one big part of it, but today is a day off for almost everyone in the country, so that they can visit graves and honour the dead, so Happy Shinbun no Hi! Nova teachers must still report to their post, like dutiful soldiers.
But, again the contrast between festivals: on Friday, we celebrated the life of a man who changed the course of Irish History, and, according to some, Western History as well. Now, interestingly enough, a saint is celebrated not because of the day of birth, but the day of death; yet, on a saint's day, many Catholic countries still have the tradition of naming the children by the saint on that day.

I went around the bar, asking my project questions, and the Japanese had some very interesting answers, which I intend to write about in more detail, as I digest the data. I may even expand my thoughts into article form, for one of the local English language magazines here in Japan. Nonetheless, I got something to say!

Well, at least today I can focus on how the world is bathed by the same amounts of dark and night, and how now I can look forward to more shine than not. I like it this way; I have a problem with glare, and may be beginning the early stages of glaucoma, but I still like to walk around in the daytime more than the night. Yesterday, it was nice enough weather wise for me to walk around Osaka downtown, and I really felt like I was able to navigate it well. So, bring on the day, is what I say. With the longer hours of sunshine comes warmer weather, and I think that is something we are all in the mood for.

1 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg! I NEED PICS!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home