.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

GregInJapan

Japan As I See It

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Toka Ebisu


Every year, Osaka has a three-day festival to celebrate one of the Seven Lucky Gods of Japan, the protector of fishermen, rice farmers, and of commerce. Osaka is nothing but sell, sell, sell, so you can see why the god is so important to the city.
And, every year there is a big parade, which starts early in the morning. I wanted to go see the parade, because I love parades, and this would have been the first parade I have seen, in person, that does not have bagpipers. (Quite a cultural shock for me!)

However, the night before, I was convinced that there was going to be a test at my Japanese language school in the morning. They sprung a test on us about three weeks ago; I did pretty well (85%, most of the errors due to spelling, of course. You wouldn't think a language that has a straightforward sylabary could have ways where you can make spelling mistakes, but, ask any Japanese person. You can. I do.), but I wanted to do better. So, I spent some serious study time going over stuff, and I figured, even if we do not have a test, it is not time ill-spent. So, I woke up late for the parade. I got to class on time, and, guess what! No test. I was relieved, but unhappy that I missed the parade. So, I went to lunch, and got ready for the rest of my day.

Lo, and behold! As I left the restaurant, I heard rumbling mumblings, and someone on a bull horn. I walked over to see what the comotion could be about, and, there they were, not one, but two different groups bearing their supporters, to honour Ebisu.


This group had many beauties on it, and the one above gave the silly gajin a nod and a smile.

These photos above are pictures of the first, real "geishas" I have seen in Japan.
I have seen many women in kimonos, many men, too, for that matter, in traditional clothing, so that is not new. In fact, Kansai-jin probably wear kimonos outside more often than any other area of the country.


I may not have seen the whole parade, but I got a glimpse of it anyway, so I feel I was rewarded for studying hard. This taught me something else important: if you love something, and work at it, it will come to you.

2 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger Juan said...

oh, yeah, that reminds me of the Ginza festival in July when I was in Kyoto. Awesome!

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Juan said...

Correct: it is called Gion Festival. On my defence, they both start with "G" and both have parade with people wearing Kimono :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home