.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

GregInJapan

Japan As I See It

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

2006 Is Go!


The last few days have been great. At New Years, I went out to a few bars and clubs, and heard some good jazz at Savanna's. The food was good, better than I had thought, although it is true that the appetisers were a little small. This photo is the band which was playing that night. Later, we went out to a crowded club, which was fun, because I got to dance, but we left after a while, and went back home to rest.


My trip to Tokyo was fantastic! I got to meet with a few friends of mine there, and we went to the oldest Temple in Tokyo, pictured aboves, tanding since the 6th century. There were throngs of people there, and we went into a few courtyards and into some of the foyer areas of the temples, too. I cast a coin, made a wish, which will hopefully come true. I also got my fortune, which was completely terrible. To get your luck projection for the year, you drop your money, pick up a wooden cylander with sticks in it, shake and shuffle, then have one come out of a hole in the top. You check the number, and take your slip of paper from a drawer corresponding to the number on the stick. If your fortune is good, you can keep the piece of paper you get. If bad, you tie it to the Temple wall, in the hope it will reverse. It is a good scam for the temple to make money, especially at 100yen a fortune, and nearly everyone gets one.

More on the trip tomorrow....

1 Comments:

At 9:39 PM, Blogger Juan said...

I never tried luck projection in any temples, although it's quite common in China too, because I can get very serious about it. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home