.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

GregInJapan

Japan As I See It

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas!

This year was the first time I have ever had to work on Christmas day, and I will also be working the next two days before I get to have a break for the winter. But, Christmas eve was not so bad. I went to work, early morning, and then went to Murphy's for Christmas dinner. Mick, who runs the place for his sister and her Japanese husband (who now owns a sushi restaurant in Dublin) somehow scored four turkeys, and roasted them early morning Saturday. Turkey is not a very common bird around here in Japan. While chicken is easy to find, and rather cheap all things considered, turkey is, well, a rara avis.

However, he got the stuff, and made it with veggies, stuffing, VERY good gravy, and mashed potatoes. It was almost like I was at home, with the execption that it was a smaller portion, no cranberries, and no Mom or Dad. I sat around the bar talking to a man I had met by chance while doing my homework in a cafe. An Australian, who had been working for a few months under the table in Korea, Anthony was forced to get his visa at the Korean Consulate here in Osaka, so as to be legit back in the Land of the Morning Calm. He was passing by, saw me, reasoned that I had the look of someone who was not completely lost, and asked me about O-town.I helped him as best I could, pointed him in the direction of the internet and a good bookstore, and told him about Murphy's. He had not counted on there being a public holiday on Friday (the Emperor's birthday, and unlike the British, who have a set day as every Monarch's natal observation, it is Akihito's real date of birth), and was stuck an extra few days.

Had a few drinks there, then headed over to Mass at the Cathedral. The main ministry, I believe, is not to Japanese, but to the Filipino community--- one of our carols was in Tagalog! This was very interesting to hear, because of the rhythm of the language, and the fact that the Filipinos were swaying and clapping to the music when they sang. Then, being sanctified, went back home, to sleep, to wake up on Christmas morning. To go to work. I said hello to Mr. Cratchit, and during the day found out from my students that the tradition here in Japan is to eat Christmas cake, and fried chicken. KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN---yeah, that's right, KFC--- if they can get it. Not goose. Not ham. NOT turkey.

KFC.

Well, have a happy holiday, no matter what you eat, and try to eat some for me. Even if it is fried chicken.

2 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Blogger Juan said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS! Greg! It seems that you had a busy and fun christmas. I had peking duck as dinner and dim sum as lunch. very nice :-)
So here I am, full,happy and back to my blogger.

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Greg! Keep up with the regular blogging- love "catching up" with you this way! But KFC??? Actually, my Japanese friends made me dumplings last year...=)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home