.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

GregInJapan

Japan As I See It

Monday, April 24, 2006

Shod

A trip walking to work sent me by a shoe store in the Amerika Mura area of Osaka. If you have ever been to Baltimore's Fell's Point, and then travel to Amerika Mura, you will see a close analogy. It is chocabloc of bars, clothing stores, and people looking to be seen, especially by the under 30 set. I love Amerika Mura ("American Village" in Japanese), because while it has a dazzling array of US style clothing, there is really nothing American about the place. But, it is the Japanese image of America, where the pants hang low and the baseball caps are worn backwards (which, incidentally, if you look at pictures from the 1930's, you will find similar images on Irish and Italian immigrants in the larger cities---food for thought). Anyway, this store had a sale on sneakers, and the one that caught my eye was a canvass-colour Converse All-Star TM for only about $30. I pondered the purchase, and decided it would be a good thing. Well, I went yesterday, and the sale was still on, but, much to my disappointment, they did not have my size. I thought that I should still buy sneaks, and asked how much the black one's were.
I had seen a price on the black style for $52, and figured that I need the footware, so just bite the bullet and get them.

SURPRIZE! They were only $10 more than the sale of the one's I had resigned myself to buying! I like the black Chuck Taylors, they will never go out of style. So, I bought them. And, as I walked towards my train station, I found a place selling flip-flop sandals. They are kind of a cross between flippies and Birkenstock and they feel great! Only $15 to boot. Thus, for only about $3 more than I thought I would spend for one pair, I got two great sets of footwear. The only better bargains to be had will probably be in China, which i arrive in a mere 48 hours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home